I have seen many people confused on where to start writing and how to write more than 1000 words on the same topic without having any prior experience in content writing. Actually speaking blogging doesn’t require any professional writing skill and advanced English proficiency.
The only point you need to focus is on expressing your ideas in an understandable way in various format. You can create your own story with creative ideas in medium level English you are comfortable with. This makes even kids understand and enjoy your stories easily.
So if you really think to start a blog, do it immediately without any doubts because ‘Now is always better than Later’. Many bloggers who started already tend to give up in few months as they didn’t get good traffic to their blog.
But every blogger faces this problem and you can see the real traffic to your blog only after 6 months or 1 year. So be patient and try hard to provide quality content to enjoy the benefits of blogging after one year.
Here I’m sharing all the steps needed for blogging and the tips for writing good quality content. Therefore start your own online business with blogging today.
Step-by-step guide to start a new blog without prior experience:
Follow the below steps to start the brand new blog easily
- Firstly choose a niche which you are passionate about or interested to learn about.
- Then search the market trend of the topic and pick out a narrow category of that niche to go deeper into the niche. For example, if you plan to start travel blog which is broad industry and you find many other existing blogs already. Then you choose to start blog on particular topics like travel tips, travel diet, tourist guide etc which come under sub-topics under travel industry
- Finding the perfect category narrows down your competition and makes your blog more specific to the customers.
- Once you find the topic, search for a good name to your blog. Now if you want to grow your personal brand, then choose your name as a blog name. Or if you want to make it industry specific, then choose the name relevant to your category.
- You must pay good attention to the domain name selection as it’s the first impression to the customer.
- You can buy a domain name and host for your business. If you don’t want to spend much at the starting you can give a try with Godaddy which offers free domain name with hosting for one year.
- If you ready to invest more in your blog, then go for other hosting services as it’s always recommended to have separate domain name registrar and hosting provider. I would recommend Bluehost hosting service provider as many big companies prefer this due to high page load speed and good up-time.
- Configure domain name with hosting services by changing the settings of domain name servers.
- Now assuming that you have a domain name and hosting handy, it’s time we move to good CMS platform to manage the content.
- There are many blogging platforms available and you can choose one depending on your requirements.
- But if you need a free CMS platform with lot of free themes and plugins, then WordPress is the best choice for you and even I use WordPress for my blog
- It’s easy to install your CMS from the hosting C-panel. Another way is to install directly from the CMS websites like wordpress.org but in this case, database settings have to be managed manually and so this method is not recommended.
- Always it’s recommended to create a separate mail with your domain name and don’t use your personal mail as blogging mail.
- Then set a theme for your blog after logging into your CMS admin account. Check all the other settings too.
- You can find the detailed guides on the web and youtube videos on how to manage your admin account. Do check all the information before making any changes in the code as it would harm your entire setup.
- If you are not from the coding background, do check with the web developer for all the code issues.
How to publish your first blog post:
- As I’m using WordPress here, after logging into admin area I installed WordPress importer plugin first to import post, pages, category, comments and custom fields.
- This is how the dashboard looks with all the required information at one place. If you click on Posts it shows all New post option to write your content.
- In settings change the permalink structure to be simple with just your post name shown in the URL without numerical values.
- Write eye catchy title, clear permalink and your content here in the WordPress. Content should consist of 1200 words and above with good infographics as search engines always prefer lengthy and user-friendly content.
- Install Yoast SEO plugin to get content readability and SEO recommendations automatically. Edit your content until it shows green color which indicates that the post is SEO friendly.
- If you are directly writing in the WordPress editor, save as draft as you write new points. Or if you want to copy the content from other documents, paste it in the text editor but not visual editor.
- Install Grammarly Chrome extension to reduce the grammatical and spelling mistakes in the content.
- Once you are done writing and editing click on the preview to check how the post looks on your blog after publishing. If you are not satisfied with colors or alignment, then you can go back and edit it.
- Finally, add a category under which your blog post can be shown for better user flow, a featured image to make your post attractive and hit publish button
- Wah! Now your first post is published and it’s online. But now only you know your blog is up and running. How to convey this to search engines and other visitors. Here comes Google search console used for crawling your blog.
- As Google is trusted more than other search engines we will discuss here all the points on satisfying Google
Google search console:
- Then create your blog account in Google search console by configuring search console account with analytics account.
- Inside search console click on Add Property to submit your new blog.
- To submit your blog post URL to Google, fetch it in the console. This invites Google crawler to crawl your blog post as it’s online now. Only after crawling your blog appears in the search results. Fetch links for both Desktop and Mobile options.
- Next step is to submit the sitemap and robots.txt file inside the console. For automatic sitemap generation install WordPress plugin, then just submit the sitemap.xml URL in the console. Sitemap consists of the list of urls that Google bot should crawl in your blog.
- Now generate robots.txt file which consists of all the sensitive urls you don’t want google to crawl. For example Signup and login pages as these contain personal information.
- Similar steps to be followed if you want to submit the blog to other search engines.
- After submitting your posts to search engine, to confirm if it’s crawled or not check with site operator (site://domainname.com) and your post should get displayed. Here domain name is your site name.
Here I have covered all the important tasks to be done inside search console. If you face any issue then refer Google knowledge base for detailed information.
Some useful Plugins:
WordPress is largely preferred CMS due to its integration with a variety of plugins. But if you install more plugins, it may affect your site speed which is one of the important factors in search engine rankings. So It’s highly recommended to install only highly useful plugins.
Here I’m providing a list of commonly used plugins with priority:
- Yoast SEO – Highly used for managing on page SEO settings
- Wp super cache – For deleting cache and improving performance deleting static files
- Wp smush – To reduce images file size and improves page loading speed.
- Akismet anti-spam – To protect your blog from spam comments as it filters spam automatically.
- Social share – To display social share buttons in the posts or pages.
If you need any other functionality, just check for plugins in the WordPress repository. Always install only if it’s compatible with your WordPress version for smooth functionality.
20 Content writing tips:
I will share some tips here which helps you to get the content quickly, easily and naturally.
- Set a comfortable time and place for writing
- List down all the ideas on the topic you want to cover.
- Do keyword research in the topic covering broad and long-tail keywords
- Then search for info related to those keywords and note down the points briefly
- Start with a good introduction to the topic including main keywords
- Use Long-tail keywords as headings and sub-headings
- Always write the content with your own tone and don’t try to imitate other bloggers
- At least try to write 200-300 words per day if you are very new to writing
- Include images, videos, GIFs, charts, statistic tables etc in the text to make it interesting
- Write content relevant to the topic which is really helpful to the visitors
- Present it with more emotional touch as it effects more on personal level
- Focus more on guides, tips and solutions to the problems in the niche
- After completing writing, give time for editing and copywriting.
- Practice daily to improve the speed and quality of content.
- Try to write it yourself without using tools for content generation to make it natural
- Follow SEO guidelines to get better search engine rankings
- Avoid disturbances during writing like searching messages or talking over phone
- Convey the topic like a story as if you are just talking to your friend.
- Never use jargons and present it in a simple and plain English
- If you feel difficult writing in English, then start the blog in your native language.
If you are planning to make your blog as the business then you need to monetize it. So to know your target audience, login to your Google analytics account and see how your blog performance periodically. You can get an idea on which content is working for which audience.
Search for all the sources driving more traffic to your blog and then invest more time on using your marketing skills on these sources.
For laser-focused targeting use Google analytics, FB analytics and other analytics tools to get a variety of information on the customer interests.
Use opt-in forms on your blog to convert your website visitors into leads. Then nurture he leads with email marketing to turn them into your customers. The more narrow your targeting the more focused it is to get the right customers.
- Go for reliable hosting to improve the blog performance
- Always monitor your page load speed as it affects your SEO
- Perform Site audit frequently and fix all the issues quickly.
- Place your sitemap on the homepage as it gives green signal search engine bots to crawl the blog easily.
- Always choose device friendly themes to get traffic from all devices
- Navigational flow should be simple, so divide the blog into categories and sub-categories.
- Establish your blog presence on the relevant social media platforms
- Provide your contact details as it makes easy for the blog visitors to contact you for queries
- Set monthly goals and find all the possible ways to achieve the goals
- Don’t use free blogging platforms if you plan to monetize your blog
- Never copy the content from other blogs, even if you do so give credits for the original content.
- Theme change should not be frequent as it affects your website traffic and SEO.
- Never give up blogging due to low traffic or other issues. Understand ‘Rome was not built in a day’ and believe it takes time to reach higher.
Must follow blogs to get all the information in one place: